2017 - 2018 School Year
· Each class will post weekly attendance requirements on the class page (Canvas).
· A week is defined as Saturday through Friday. Work is posted on Saturday morning and due by the following Friday at midnight (In your time zone).
· If a student does not meet the attendance requirements for the week the student will be counted absent.
· Attendance will be reported weekly based on the amount of work students have completed.
· Parents and students will be able to view weekly attendance at https://powerschool.btcs.org/public/ . It is the responsibility of the parent and student to check attendance and notify the office of any discrepancies. The office must be alerted within a week after the absences have been posted for any changes to occur. Attendance codes on PowerSchool are as follows: U- Unexcused, A-Excused, DE- Doctor’s Excuse, blank or P-Present.
· In order to excuse any absence, parents must email or call the TOPS office. Please email to email@example.com or call Mrs. Kim Amos at 423-652-9209. TOPS needs to be alerted before the absence occurs or as early as possible.
· Excused absences will be excused at the discretion of the TOPS staff. Please keep in mind that students have 7 days to complete their work – not just Monday through Friday.
· Any doctor’s excuse may be turned in via email, fax, or mail and must be turned in within 2 weeks of the absences.
· Students are allowed 10 excused absences before they become truant.
· Students are allowed 5 unexcused absences before they become truant.
Unexcused absences may result in:
o Parent conferences
o Referral to counseling
o Placed back in your home school
o Referral to Juvenile Court
- Absent means a student has not completed the amount of work their teacher has asked for them to complete for the week.
- Present means a student has completed the amount of work their teacher has asked for them to complete for the week.
- Truant means that a student has accrued up to 5 absences in any class and could possibly be taken to court.
**The Math Department proceeds with this attendance policy along with another policy to ensure that students are successful. Please view the syllabus for the student’s math class to view the additional attendance policies. It is the parent and students responsibility to check attendance weekly for all classes. **